This list is some of our favorite songs to play and get moving! These songs are also great for reinforcing directions, body parts, storytelling, and rhyming. I like these songs because the words themselves encourage moving.
Many of these songs are ones everyone knows the lyrics to, but I’ve included Amazon affiliate links to the songs in case you want to look them up:
- Old Brass Wagon (directions: up/down/in/out)
- Head Shoulders Knees and Toes (body parts)
- Do Your Ears Hang Low? (body parts)
- The Farmer In The Dell (storytelling)
- The Hokey Pokey (body parts, directions)
- If you’re happy and you know it (following directions)
- The Noble Duke Of York (directions – up/down/middle)
- Skip To My Lou (rhyming, storytelling – lots of possibilities with this!)
- All Around The Kitchen (following directions)
- Six Little Ducks (counting, storytelling)
What songs would you add to this list?
Looking for baby and toddler play ideas? Check out Zero to Two: the book of play, an e-book I co-authored! It’s includes 25 step-by-step tutorials with pictures, as well as links to over 50 more ways to play with babies and toddlers – all for $8.99.