Dinosaur activities are perfect for summer camp! Almost all kids love dinosaurs, and there are so many fun ideas to play with them.
We kick off the “opening” of our sandbox every year with a dinosaur excavation. We put new sand in our sandbox every year, and once the new sand is in, I set up a dinosaur game that is perfect for a dinosaur camp!
(Affiliate links used below)
I put toy dinosaurs (we use small ones from a Safari Ltd Dinos TOOB) and cover them with some sand. Then I call the kids, hand them each a paintbrush and a toothbrush, and tell them they are going on a dinosaur excavation.
They search the terrain for lumps and hills that look like there might be dinosaurs underneath. Then they mark off where they are going to dig, and use their tools to excavate their fossils!
Here are many more super fun dinosaur activities to try out for a DIY dinosaur camp!
Dinosaur Camp Activities
- Fizzing Dinosaur Science Bin from Little Bins for Little Hands
- Dinosaur Volcanoes Small World Play from Still Playing School
- Print Dinosaur Masks with a free template from Itsy Bitsy Fun
- Dinosaur Playdough Mat from Craftulate
- Make Dinosaur Ice Eggs from Teaching Mama
- Get moving with this dinosaur movement game from Sugar Aunts
- Dinosaur rice hunt from Toddler Approved
- Fizzing Baby Dinosaur Eggs from Coffee Cups and Crayons
- Dinosaur Eggs from The Pleasantest Thing
- Sand and cornstarch eggs from Coffee Cups and Crayons
- Build LEGO dinosaurs – instructions for 5 dinosaur models! – from Frugal Fun For Boys
You’ll work up a dino-size appetite, so be sure to have some snacks on hand. A few you’ll love:
- Dinosaur Egg Rice Krispy Treats from Mess for Less
- Healthy Dino Ice Cream Excavation from Lalymom
- Dinosaur Fossil Cookies from Craftulate
These are some of our favorite dinosaur-themed books
- T. Rex: Read and Wonder by Vivian French
- Dinosaurumpus! by Tony Mitton
- Dino-Soccer by Lisa Wheeler
- My Visit to the Dinosaurs by Aliki
Arts and Crafts
- Make Your Own Dinosaur Fossils from Fun At Home With Kids
- Paint with Dinosaur Footprints from Frogs Snails and Puppy Dog Tails
- Paint with Dinosaur Sponges from Crayon Box Chronicles (includes free printable template to cut sponges!)
- Triceratops Cupcake liner craft from Still Playing School
- Try an easy sticker bracelet from Glittering Muffins
- Make a spiky dinosaur hat from Cutting Tiny Bites
Sugar Aunts: Outer Space
Still Playing School: Colors
All Done Monkey: Legos
JDaniel 4’s Mom: Rainforest