Welcome back to the ABC’s of Winter Outdoor Play! Today we have F-J. Be sure to check out A-E of Outdoor Winter Play. And we’ll be doing the rest of the alphabet this week!
F is for Frosty the Snowman
Building snowmen together is a classic for a reason! It’s a must-do if you’re in an area with snow.
We also made a “snowman bag,” which contains odds and ends that we will use to decorate a snowman. It hasn’t snowed since we put the bag together, but when it does I will add a picture!
G is for Green
Winter is full of greys and browns. We look for the trees that are still green, compare them to trees that have lost their leaves. My preschooler also loves to look for other signs of winter, and differences in the seasons. He notes things like fewer animals because of hibernation or migration, no bugs, thicker coats on the animals that we see.
H is for Hunts
Kids love searching games. I’ve made up hunts for different colors, scavenger hunts, treasure hunts, and searched for different sounds. We’ve hunted for letters, numbers, and shapes. We’ve tried to find different animals, or looked for their tracks. On days I bundle them in the stroller, we play jogging stroller bingo.
I is for Ice Play
We jump on shallow frozen puddles to break the ice, slide on ice, and watch icicles. And, of course, there’s always ice skating at local ponds and outdoor ice rinks.
J is for Jumping
I have the most success playing with my kids outside in the cold when we are all moving. Jumping games are a great place to start. I put a jumprope on the ground to hop over, wiggling it for my older son. We play hopscotch (traditional, or using the alphabet or colors or shapes). We jump from hula hoop to hula hoop, or over logs.
Be sure to check back here for the rest of the ABC’s of Winter Outdoor Play. And check out these other ABC’s of learning through play:
- Baking with Kids from Life at the Zoo
- Bath Activities for Kids from Bath Activities for Kids
- Discovery Bottles from Teach Preschool
- Farming for Children from Glittering Muffins
- Fitness for Kids from 3 Dinosaurs
- Imaginative Play from Train up a Child
- Kids Activities from Growing a Jeweled Rose
- Learning Through Play from Love Play & Learn
- Learning Toys & Manipulatives from This Reading Mama
- Movement Activities for Young Kids from AngeliqueFelix.com
- Play Dough from The Imagination Tree
- Playing with Light from Graham and Parker
- Preschool Play from Its Our Long Story
- Sensory Bins from Royal Baloo
- Sensory Play from Creative Play House
- Toddler Activities from Toddler Approved